In 1921 the Club suffered another disaster when the Club House was burnt to the ground and many valuable records and interesting souvenirs of the Club’s early days were lost.Plans were immediately discussed for a new Club House and the present building in brick and cement was erected and opened to Members in June 1923.
In 1921 the Club suffered another disaster when the Club House was burnt to the ground and many valuable records and interesting souvenirs of the Club’s early days were lost. Plans were immediately discussed for a new Club House and the present building in brick and cement was erected and opened to Members in June 1923. Shortly after this an opportunity was taken to outline a scheme whereby our status as a ”Proprietary” Club should revert to that of a ”Members’ Club” This was heartily supported and resulted in a long lease of the Club Premises being obtained from the Henley Sailing Club, Ltd. Since January 1st, 1924, the Club and the Company have remained as separate entities. In 1925 the Club inaugurated its Annual Rag Regatta which became a popular feature of the Club’s activities for the next forty years, especially amongst the young people of the neighbourhood; in 1927 the first annual Dinner was held.
In 1928 the Club decided to support the International 14ft. Dinghy C1ass and an order for six of these beautiful little boats was placed with Uffa Fox, of Cowes, the famous designer and builder of this class. These were delivered early in 1929 when the Club ’found itself in the possession of the most up-to-date fleet of these boats in the country. At the same time the Club joined the Yacht Racing Association and, ever since then, has raced under their Rules. These decisions were, perhaps, the most momentous in the history of the C1ub since its foundation, and combined with the enthusiasm of its Officers and Members, greatly increased its reputation and prestige. From being little known outside the circle of the Thames Sailing Clubs it rapidly became known throughout the country as one of the leading Clubs supporting the International 14ft. Dinghy Class. As a result, in 1930 the Committee found themselves faced with the necessity of enlarging the Club House to meet the needs of a rapidly growing membership. In 1931 the Club House was extended to the River front which considerably increased the accommodation and greatly improved the facilities for conducting and watching the races.